The past three decades have witnessed a steadily increase in the global awareness of the plight of impoverished women in developing countries and the need for social, economic, political and gender equity as well as access to fundamental human rights. Women have achieved significant progress in some parts of world but continue to be marginalized and undervalued in the developing world (Augusto and Zahidi, 2005). Societal beliefs continue to hinder progress in women‘s empowerment in many parts of the developing world (Cohen, 2006). Compared to men, women in developing countries work longer, receive less money, have more responsibilities, have less schooling and have poorer health (Ghorayshi & Belanger, 1996).
In relation to the above discourse, this research is an attempt to study the development problem in relation to women’s development. Since education is the first step of empowerment of women, the role of NGOs in educating women is imperative. Therefore, interdisciplinary approach is accepted in this study, which covers education of women, empowerment of women and NGOs’ initiatives in this regard.
STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The present research has a major thrust to find the role of NGOs in the socioeconomic development of Women in Kargil district by enhancing education and empowerment opportunities to Kargil’s women. Therefore, the present study is descriptive in nature.
The representation of women in the field of education is getting higher in urban areas of Kargil district but education with skills may have more significance as far as women’s economic empowerment is concerned.
Importance of education in human life is unquestionable. So to empower women, education is a first crucial stage. Literacy among women opens the possibility of unlimited exposure to new information and more importantly to new ways of thinking and perspectives on existing information. Education of women will place them on an equal footing with men in decision making in economic and political fields. Empowerment of women through education will lead to their greater participation in government and community institutions and better entrepreneurial opportunities. (Sushama Sahay, 1998). In short, making women literate and educate them is prerequisites not only for their equality and empowerment but for the development of the nation.
Therefore, mere thinking of development excluding women’s role in the development is making handicaps to development thoughts. It is also producing insufficient results, which are against gender justice. It is obvious that the main thrust of this research is to address these questions. In short, the role of non government organizations (NGOs) in educating and empowering women in Kargil district population is going to be investigated.
OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The following objectives are formulated for the proposed study:
- To study the contemporary development problems of women in Kargil district.
- To study the selected role of NGOs regarding the education and empowerment of women in Kargil district.
- To study the impact of the educational programmes on the target group for development and empowerment.
- To identify the obstacles for implementing the innovative educational programme and restructure the innovative educational programmes.
- To record the opinions of women and NGOs to the development of women.
DELIMITATIONS OF THE STUDY
- The study will be delimited to the Kargil district only.
- The study will be further delimited to female group only.
- Further, only 100 females will be selected for the present study.
The present study will be designed to undertake the study on the role of non-government organizations (NGOs) in educating and empowering women in Kargil district. The methodology of the study comprises area of the study, sampling size and method of sampling, data collection, and method of data analysis.
AREA OF THE STUDY
To have an ‘in-depth’ and ‘intensive’ study, Kargil district will be selected for the field work.
SAMPLING SIZE AND METHOD OF SAMPLING
To have representative sampling, 100 female members will be selected randomly.
To know the opinion of female members, randomly selected members will be interviewed through structured ‘questionnaire’.
- Primary data
Primary data are collected afresh and for the first time. It is the data originated by the researcher specifically to address the research problem.
In this study, primary data will be collected through
- Structured questionnaire
- Personal observations and attending meetings
- Collection of data from the officials
- Secondary Data
Secondary data was collected from internet, registers, records, journals, articles, magazines and annual reports of the organization.
In this proposed study, the secondary data will be collected through organisation’s records, documents and literature.
METHOD OF DATA ANALYSIS
The data will be analysed by using simple statistical tools such as ‘averages’ and ‘percentages’. The analysed data will be used to prepare the report from which inferences will be drawn and conclusions will be arrived.
SUGGESTIONS FOR FURTHER RESEARCH
The study will pave the way for other researchers to conduct similar studies in any districts, any states and any countries to bring to limelight the role of non-government organizations (NGOs) in educating and empowering women.
The chapterization of the thesis is proposed to be made, keeping in mind the objectives
- The first chapter shall be an introduction about the women’s education and empowerment, study area, research objectives and reviews of related studies.
- The second chapter shall be the historical perspective of Non Government Organisations.
- The third chapter shall be the concept and functions of Non Government Organisations.
- The forth chapter shall be the research methodology of the present study.
- The chapter fifth, Analysis and Interpretation, shall be analysed the field data and throws light on role played by non-government organizations (NGOs) in educating and empowering women.
- The last chapter, conclusions and suggestions, shall give the major findings, conclusions and suggestions of the present study.